Why we need winches

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:25
ThreadID: 80291 Views:4088 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Went for a drive with another fourby today in Brindies. Came across a rolled 4wd halfway up a steep hill across the track.With combined efforts of several four wheel drives,winch on a hilux and a few straps managed to get the 4wd back on its wheels and to the top flat section of the track.Its good to see that everyone helped out.We found out several weeks ago out on a test run with several over club members on our club block that our winch doesn't work,a few winches tested that day had problems so its a good idea to run them out and test them as a simple drive today a winch was needed. Also driver training when you join a club comes handy also.The 4wd today had tried to change down a gear at the top of the hill and then very slowly had gone backwards and tipped over. No one hurt and managed to restart the land rover once the safety switch was reset.You never know what's around the corner

Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:40

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 15:40
I assume it was along the powerlines somewhere.

I was up that way on Thursday and had to winch myself out of a large bog at the bottom of a step hill on the powerlines. A large group of 4bys had been there last weekend and chewed up the naturally boggy area.

Thankfully my winch worked well though it was a long pull using a winch extension strap in addition to the 50m of cable I had out - as such had to be a single line pull rather than the preferred double - thankfully my winch has a clutch to prevent overloading and it did activate a couple of times.

What sort of landie was it?

Garry
AnswerID: 425170

Follow Up By: Plugga- Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 16:01

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 16:01
It was half way up webbs trail from flee creek end
FollowupID: 695707

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 16:36

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 16:36
Wow - that is an easy area - even my Freelander can do that without low range.

The landie must just have got away from him though brakes should have held Ok on that section. Glad to see no one was hurt though.

Garry
FollowupID: 695710

Sponsored Links